You are reading

Queens Assemblywoman To Host Workshop on Free and Low-Cost Health Care Services for New Yorkers

Medical workers attend the August 2019 launch of the NYC Care Program, which guarantees primary and specialty care to New Yorkers without insurance (Photo: Courtesy of Mayor’s office)

May 26, 2021 By Christina Santucci

Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas and the Jacob Riis Settlement House are holding a virtual workshop this week about free and low-cost health services for New Yorkers who do not qualify for and cannot afford health insurance.

The event, which will be held via Zoom, is scheduled for Thursday between 6 and 7 p.m.

Organizers are seeking to alert eligible Queens residents about NYC Care, a city-funded healthcare program that provides low-cost and no-cost services regardless of immigration status.

NYC Care is open to those who are ineligible for insurance – including undocumented immigrants – or unable to afford a plan. New Yorkers who qualify for health insurance can instead apply for the MetroPlus Health Plan.

To be eligible for NYC Care, applicants must also have lived in New York City for at least the past six months and plan to seek care within the five boroughs.

Health services are provided at more than 70 locations through NYC Health + Hospitals – a network of hospitals, clinics and community health centers throughout the city.

There are no membership fees or premiums—and copays for doctor’s visits, emergency care and prescriptions are determined on a sliding scale by family size and income, with many paying nothing for services.

The city launched NYC Care in the Bronx in 2019 and later expanded into Brooklyn and Staten Island. In September, the mayor announced that the program would include Queens and Manhattan.

“Our mission to bring affordable, quality healthcare to every New Yorker has never felt more urgent,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement at the time.

More than 50,000 people had already enrolled in NYC Care by the end of February.

The Jacob Riis Settlement House is one of 14 Queens community-based organizations that are partnering with the city to encourage more people to register for the program.

Andres Aguirre, from the Jacob Riis Neighborhood Settlement, will be leading Thursday’s workshop in both English and Spanish. Aguirre said that following the presentation he would provide his contact information to attendees to answer any additional questions that they may have and assist them with registration.

González-Rojas described NYC Care as “crucial to communities like the neighborhoods in the 34th Assembly district, which is made up of several immigrant communities and communities of color.”

“I’m excited to have our offices partner and provide this information to the residents of our district and look forward to ongoing work to bring necessary resources to our people,” she said in a statement.

Those interested in attending Thursday’s workshop, should reach out to Aguirre at [email protected] or 929-263-4095 to receive the link to the Zoom presentation.

Anyone who is eligible and wants to enroll in NYC Care can call 646-NYC-CARE.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of people, believed to be migrants, found living in cramped Queens cellar

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed that dozens of people, believed to be migrants, were found living illegally inside a commercial business in South Richmond Hill on Monday afternoon.

The cellar dwellers were discovered inside an illegal conversion of a 2-story, mixed-use building on Liberty Avenue in South Richmond Hill, according to the city’s Department of Buildings. DOB Inspectors were called to the scene at 132-03 Liberty Ave. by FDNY first responders after fire prevention inspectors acting on a tip found the people living in cramped and illegal conditions.

Brooklyn man charged with manslaughter, DWI, for Astoria collision that killed his wife: DA

New details have emerged in the case against a Brooklyn man who allegedly crashed into several cars in Astoria last week while driving drunk, and then drove off in the wrecked vehicle to a residential block in Maspeth four miles away with a gravely injured passenger. The passenger turned out to be his wife, who later died, and the boozed driver told investigators that the couple was being followed when the collision occurred, according to the criminal complaint.

Rey Perez, 27, of Caton Avenue in Flatbush, was arraigned on Friday in Queens Criminal Court on charges of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and other crimes for speeding through stop signs last Thursday morning, crashing into another vehicle and two parked cars, before speeding from the scene to Maspeth where he sought help for his wife, 29-year-old Bridget Enriquez, who later succumbed to her injuries.