You are reading

Queens Borough President Calls on City to Offer Remote Learning Option

(Photo by Compare Fibre on Unsplash)

Aug. 24, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards is calling on the city to offer a remote learning option for public school students in the fall.

Richards penned a letter to NYC Schools Chancellor Meisha Ross Porter Monday urging her to offer a remote instruction option given the rise of the delta variant across the city.

The city will open classrooms for full in-person learning on Sept. 13, the first day of classes, and doesn’t plan to offer an online learning option at this point.

Richards noted that Queens students are particularly vulnerable to the highly-contagious delta variant given the fact that the borough has some of the most overcrowded schools in the five boroughs. He said his office has heard from many parents concerned over the lack of a remote option.

“Having a remote option would be prudent due to the current reality we are all unfortunately confronting,” he wrote in the letter. “Queens has some of the most overcrowded schools in the five boroughs, and it is concerning how schools can safely reopen for in-person learning.”

Richards said there is increased concern about young children contracting the virus amid the spread of the now-dominant delta strain. Children under age 12 are not eligible for any of the three COVID-19 vaccines approved in the U.S.

He also said the Department of Education (DOE) failed to collect input from parents when it made the decision to start school without a remote option. He condemned the fact that parents had no say in the decision.

“By the DOE concluding that no remote option is needed without actual parent engagement, I believe the sentiment sends the wrong message and potentially undermines the entire parent engagement process,” Richards wrote to Ross Porter. “Having a remote option is being pro-active and vital during this unprecedented time.”

Richards sent the letter to Ross Porter the same day Mayor Bill de Blasio announced all DOE staffers will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Teachers, principals, custodians, food staff and school safety officers will need to show proof that they have received at least one dose by Sept. 27.

Most student athletes — those who participate in what the city deems a “high risk” sport — are also required to get the shot.

The DOE didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment regarding the letter.

QBP Donovan Richards Chancellor Porter Letter by Queens Post on Scribd

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.