You are reading

Queens Officials Call on Gov. Hochul to Replenish Excluded Workers Fund With $3 Billion

Organizers with Make The Road New York at a rally earlier this year calling for funds for excluded workers (Make The Road New York via Instagram)

Dec. 9, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Queens officials are calling on Governor Kathy Hochul to replenish and reopen the Excluded Workers Fund after the state closed applications in October upon running out of money.

Officials such as State Sen. Jessica Ramos and Queens Borough President Donovan Richards are urging Hochul to inject $3 billion into the fund. The fund is for undocumented New Yorkers who lost their jobs during the pandemic.

The state closed applications for the Excluded Workers Fund in October after most of the $2.1 billion earmarked for it was distributed. The money went to undocumented, out-of-work New Yorkers who didn’t qualify for federal aid—such as unemployment insurance and stimulus checks—due to their immigration status.

The state distributed funding to more than 130,000 people across the state — with nearly all receiving the maximum payment of $15,600. However, an estimated 45,000 to 50,000 applicants were denied payments when the money ran out, according to immigrant advocacy group Make the Road NY.

Make the Road estimates that hundreds of thousands of eligible workers did not apply in time.

Richards penned a letter to Hochul Wednesday to request she immediately invest another $3 billion in the executive budget to the fund and reopen it. He said that there are “tens of thousands” of working-class immigrants in Queens who were unable to access the fund.

“There is no doubt that our excluded workers still face severe economic hardship,” Richards wrote in the letter. “…It is clear that a pressing need for additional financial assistance still exists here in Queens.”

Meanwhile, Ramos will be marching with local immigrant advocacy groups and Bronx Assembly Member Karines Reyes to Hochul’s midtown Manhattan office Friday calling on her to fund the program.

The marchers, according to organizers, will invoke imagery from the “posada,” a common Latin American holiday tradition that recreates the scene of Mary and Joseph’s search for lodging before Jesus’ birth. They will ask Hochul to not leave them out in the cold, as Mary and Joseph were during their search.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Armed robber hits 7-Eleven stores in three Queens neighborhoods in just over an hour Wednesday morning: NYPD

Police from two Queens NYPD precincts are looking for an armed robber who targeted 7-Eleven stores in three different neighborhoods in just over an hour during the early morning of Wednesday, Apr. 17.

Police from the 106th Precinct in Ozone Park reported that the first heist went down just before 2:25 a.m. at the 7-Eleven located at 112-11 Liberty Ave. in South Richmond Hill. The perpetrator allegedly pulled out a handgun and demanded money from the 23-year-old man behind the counter, who complied, handing over $400 in cash from the register, police said.

Jamaica Estates man beaten, robbed by bat-wielding thugs near Cunningham Park: NYPD

A 22-year-old Jamaica Estates man was beaten and robbed in broad daylight three blocks west of Cunningham Park on Saturday, and police from the 107th Precinct in Fresh Meadows are looking for the suspects who attacked him with a baseball bat.

The incident occurred just after 7 p.m., as the victim was walking home in the vicinity of 189th Street and Aberdeen Avenue when he was set upon by the two assailants who struck him in the face and head with the baseball bat, police said. They forcibly removed his cell phone and fled in a black Pontiac Grand Am, heading northbound on 109th Street toward Union Turnpike.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Spring refresh: 10 unique home stores to check out in Western Queens

Apr. 18, 2024 By Amanda Salazar

Spring isn’t just a time for cleaning — it’s also a time of fresh starts and renewal. If you’ve been considering redesigning your home, now is the perfect time to renew your space. Whether it’s as big as a complete overhaul of your home’s interior design or as small as getting a new lamp, there’s a small business in western Queens that can help you breathe new life into your space. Here are 10 local home décor and furniture stores to check out this spring.