You are reading

Residents Launch Petition Calling For DOT to Scrap 39th Avenue Bike Boulevard in Sunnyside

A group of residents has launched an online petition in opposition to the installation of a bike boulevard on 39th Avenue in Sunnyside. 39th Avenue and 45th Street intersection pictured on Sept. 22, 2021 (Photo by Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

Oct. 5, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A group of residents has launched an online petition in opposition to the DOT’s recent installation of a new bike boulevard on 39th Avenue in Sunnyside.

The online petition, which was launched Saturday, seeks to reverse the DOT’s transformation of many portions of 39th Avenue and Barnett Avenue that have been converted into one-way streets. The DOT began making the changes to the avenues last month in order to create space to put down a protected bicycle lane on 39th Avenue.

The petition has garnered more than 500 signatures since it launched less than 72 hours ago on change.org.

The group that launched the petition, called Queens Streets For All, claims that the new designs are dangerous, confusing and were not thought through. They also say that the community was not properly involved in the process.

Their view is counter to the DOT and bike-safety advocates who say that the new layout makes the streets safer for all road users —whether they be motorists, cyclists or pedestrians. The advocates say the measures reduce the number of motorists using 39th Avenue as a through-street and that the changes help prevent speeding.

However, the petitioners argue that the changes are too complex, unnecessary and have instead made the roads less safe.

They are calling on the DOT to reverse the road changes immediately. The petition is addressed to the Mayor Bill de Blasio, the DOT Commissioner, Queens DOT Commissioner, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, State Sen. Mike Gianaris, Assemblywoman Cathy Nolan, Community Board 2 and other officials.

“What we have is chaos,” the petition reads. “These short, previously unproblematic and two-way streets are now a mess. Whoever rushed the installation was not focusing on our safety.”

The group claims that the process to approve the plan was “rushed through” via online meetings with little community notice and insufficient input from residents.

The bike boulevard was approved by Community Board 2 in June by a vote of 21-11 during a Zoom board meeting.

The plan, which was conceptually announced by Mayor Bill de Blasio in May, has the backing of term-limited Van Bramer. Julie Won, the Democratic nominee likely to replace Van Bramer, has also expressed her support for the plan.

But the petitioners are far less receptive of the plan.

“The only positive descriptions we have heard, amid shock, anger, disbelief, and confusion, about the redesign, is new and better crosswalks,” the petition reads.

“Otherwise, remove this installation now, and start over, please.”

New crosswalk paintings at the intersection between 50th Street and 39th Avenue, pictured on Sept. 22, 2021 (Photo by Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

The new plan has seen the stretch on 39th Avenue between 45th and 47th streets (previously two-way) converted into a one-way street going west. The DOT has also converted 39th Avenue from Woodside Avenue to 52nd Street into a one-way zone—westbound.

The plan has also seen Barnett Avenue—between 45th and 48th streets—converted into a one-way street going east. That section of Barnett Avenue was previously a narrow two-way street.

The DOT says that the new design improves the connections for cyclists traveling between Sunnyside, Woodside, and Jackson Heights — in particular from the 34th Avenue Open Street to the protected bike lanes on Skillman and 43rd Avenues leading to and from the Queensboro Bridge.

The petitioners say that the new layout has only made the roads less safe, more dangerous and infuriated drivers.

The group says said that it now takes more time for drivers to get in and out of the area.

“Some drivers are driving over the curbs in frustration,” the petition reads.

Several residents who signed the petition weighed in with their thoughts on why they want to see the plan scrapped.

“Remove the redesign now! There are serious accidents waiting to happen if this is not reversed,” wrote one petitioner.

“No thought went into this project! It has now become so unsafe for not only cyclists but walkers and cars,” wrote another before labeling the design as an “absolute mess.”

Nicole Garcia, Queens DOT Commissioner, is scheduled to address residents concerns during a Community Board 2 public meeting Thursday via Zoom. She will also be discussing its benefits.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Cheering CUNY’s Class of ’24 for perseverance, talent and grit

May. 23, 2024 By Félix V. Matos Rodríguez

CUNY’s impact on New York is never more visible than during commencement season, when we celebrate the achievements of some 50,000 students who earn degrees at our 25 campuses each year. Behind each one of those graduates is a story of aspiration and perseverance, and together they tell the interconnected story of CUNY and New York.

NYPD identifies pedestrian struck by police vehicle on Van Wyck, AG launches probe

The NYPD revealed the identity of the 22-year-old man who was struck and killed by one of its highway patrol vehicles on the Van Wyck Expressway in the early morning of Sunday, May 19.

Ervin Zacarias Agustin, 23, of Ormonde Boulevard in Valley Stream, was running across the highway just after 4:30 a.m. when he was struck and killed by a marked NYPD vehicle near Archer Avenue. The highway patrol car had its lights and sirens activated when it crashed into the Long Islander in the center lane as he attempted to cross the Van Wyck from east to west.