You are reading

Residents May Have to Wait Until the Beginning of July Before Restaurants Can Reopen For Outdoor Dining

(Ed Reed/ Mayoral Photography Office)

June 16, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City residents may have to wait longer before they can get a haircut or eat out, as Mayor Bill de Blasio warned today it could take longer than expected to reach Phase 2 of reopening.

The city is the only region of the 10 regions in the state still in Phase 1 of the governor’s reopening plan.

De Blasio said it may take New York City until the beginning of July to enter the second phase, a little over three weeks from the date the city entered Phase 1. The nine other regions spent just two weeks in Phase one–and have permitted the reopening of barbershops, hair salons and outdoor dining at restaurants as part of the second phase.

The state requires regions to wait at least two weeks before going from Phase 1 to Phase 2. An evaluation is then made by state and local officials– and they can then enter the second phase if COVID-19 is under control.

The Big Apple could enter Phase 2 as early as Monday, June 22 — when it hits the two week mark itself — but de Blasio has warned city residents not to get their hopes up just yet.

New York City has been the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States, but data shows it is finally managing to control the spread of the virus.

Just 2 percent of city residents tested for the virus had positive results, according to the latest Health Department data released Sunday. The city has also met the state’s seven COVID-related required benchmarks for reopening.

But de Blasio said the city must wait before reopening and needs to make sure there isn’t a new spike in COVID-19 cases given the large protests that have taken place so far this month.

“We certainly saw an aberrant reality with the protest activity, we want to know what that has resulted in in terms of the spread of the disease or maybe it hasn’t,” de Blasio said. “We don’t know that answer yet because not enough time has passed.”

The vast majority of protesters have been wearing face masks and all protests have been outdoors, where the virus is more difficult to spread, he noted.

The mayor said there still is a possibility that the city could enter Phase 2 next week.

“We will be ready next week if the indicators and the discussions with the state tell us that we’re ready to go next week,’ de Blasio said.

Under phase two, retail stores can open in-store shopping. Some offices, places of worship, real estate offices and car dealerships can also reopen with limited capacities.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
COCED

I have a suspicion that delay has nothing to do with Wuhan virus situation but everything to do with DeBill Blasio’s competition and rivalry with the governor

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Port Authority announces JFK Airport traffic congestion plan as new terminal construction ramps up this summer

With construction ramping up over the summer on the $19 billion JFK Airport redevelopment project, the Port Authority opened a free drop-off, pickup and waiting lot at the AirTrain station at Lefferts Boulevard to help passengers avoid heavy traffic congestion at the terminal frontages.

The new lot will allow travelers to easily hop on to the free on-airport AirTrain with frequent service for an easy, eight-minute ride to the terminals, saving them time and anxiety from potential construction-related congestion.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.