You are reading

Ridgewood Man Who Threatened to Kill Congressional Democrats Ordered to Remain in Jail

(iStock)

March 1, 2021 By Christina Santucci

A Ridgewood man charged with making a series of online threats calling for the death of a number of Congress members will remain behind bars as he awaits trial, a federal judge ruled Monday morning.

Brendan Hunt, 37, appeared before United States District Judge Pamela K. Chen today and was ordered to be held.

“I’m not prepared to release Mr. Hunt on a personal recognizance bond,” Judge Chen said.

During the virtual hearing, Hunt pleaded not guilty.

Hunt, who allegedly went by the name “X-Ray Ultra” online, is accused of threatening to assault and murder House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer in social media posts made between Dec. 6 and Jan. 12.

Prosecutors had detailed allegations against Hunt in an eight-page criminal complaint in January. The document described four postings that Hunt allegedly made on sites like Facebook and Parler.

“Trump, we want actual revenge on democrats. Meaning, we want you to hold a public execution of pelosi aoc schumer etc. And if you dont do it, the citizenry will. We’re not voting in another rigged election. Start up the firing squads, mow down these commies, and lets take america back!,” an early December Facebook post read, according to the complaint.

The next hearing in the case has been scheduled for March 15 at 10:30 p.m., with Hunt’s trial expected to begin in late April. Judge Chen said that jurors are expected to be summoned to court at the end of March, and Hunt’s trial may take place in person.

Hunt, a part-time actor and filmmaker, had been working as a court analyst at the New York State Office of Court Administration. He was suspended without pay following his arrest on Jan. 19 at his Gates Avenue home.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Sara Ross

So threaten to kill politicians and you stay in jail. But assault an innocent person walking on the street and they’re arrested by breakfast and out by lunch. The justice system and the sewer sludge of lawyers who defend these pieces of garbage need an overhaul.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.