You are reading

Rocky McBride’s, Which Was Closed for Flouting COVID Restrictions, Pays State $25K and Reopens

Rocky McBride’s (Photo: Christina Santucci)

April 6, 2021 By Christina Santucci

An Astoria tavern – that was closed for two weeks for violating pandemic restrictions – has reopened.

Rocky McBride’s, located at 27-01 23rd Ave., resumed service Saturday after paying $25,000 as part of a conditional no contest offer to the State Liquor Authority (SLA).

Members of the SLA had set that amount during a meeting Wednesday – about two weeks after the bar’s liquor license was suspended.

During the meeting, SLA Chairman Vincent Bradley noted a letter had been submitted by a lawyer on behalf of the bar’s owners that addressed violations found during three visits from investigators.

The bar’s license was suspended following a St. Patrick’s Day visit, when at least 20 mostly maskless people were seen by investigators standing outside of the tavern. Investigators also spotted staff wearing masks improperly as well as a musician was performing. Under its license, Rocky McBride’s is not permitted to have live bands.

Investigators had initially visited the bar in August and issued a warning about mandatory service of food with alcohol. During a follow up visit in October, SLA investigators said they observed a number of violations, including staff not wearing a face mask properly and patrons, who were drinking alcohol without being served food.

Martin P. Mehler, an attorney for Rocky McBride’s, addressed some of the most recent issues in a letter to the SLA.

“The entire [St. Patrick’s Day] ‘performance,’ which took place outdoors, lasted no more than 10 minutes. The licensee does not have ‘live bands’ and did not think that two people dressed in ‘traditional garb’ to honor the holiday was any violation,” Mehler wrote.

Later in his letter, Mehler noted that the staff member appeared to be adjusting her face mask in a photo taken that day. “Her nose was exposed but the photo seems to indicate she was pulling it back up.”

Mehler also wrote that, “The licensee deeply regrets that any transgression took place and will not allow a repeat of the activity to occur.”

Initially, two of the three SLA members said they were willing to accept a conditional no contest offer of $15,000, but Bradley said he thought the amount should be increased by $10,000–based on negative feedback from residents.

“I still was interested in giving them the benefit of the doubt until I then saw letters and pictures coming from the Citizens of Astoria – that backed up every one of their complaints,” Bradley said.

Those submissions argued that Rocky McBride’s had “destroyed the area with their non-compliance in regard to COVID restrictions, reckless behavior and allowance of their customers to party in the street.”

After Bradley spoke, the other two members agreed to the higher amount, with fellow SLA Commissioner Greeley Ford noting he had also found material provided by the group of Astoria residents to be “pretty harsh.”

It was not immediately clear who had submitted the letter from the “Citizens of Astoria” – asking that Rocky McBride’s be shut down.

But Mehler wrote that he believed the group consisted of one Astoria resident and called their complaints “meritless accusations.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.