You are reading

Schumer and AOC Call for Government to Pay for Death Arrangements of COVID-19 Victims

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (Wikipedia)

April 15, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer and Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are calling on the federal government to help cover the funeral costs for low-income families who have lost a loved one to COVID-19.

The legislators said that the government needs to help these families and urged FEMA to release funds immediately as part of the “Disaster Funeral Assistance” program.

Ocasio-Cortez’ district covers the Elmhurst, Corona and Jackson Heights neighborhoods– the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak. Many residents in the area have limited means and are new immigrants. Around 20 percent of Corona residents – the city’s hardest-hit neighborhood – live below the poverty level.

The pair want FEMA to help pay for expenses including casket costs, mortuary services, death certificates, and cremation or interment.

“Families across New York, and right here in Queens, are already paying the ultimate price with the tragic loss of their loved ones to the coronavirus,” they said at a press briefing in Corona yesterday.

“That is why FEMA must do the right thing during this crisis, exactly what they did after Hurricane Sandy, and deliver special funds to New York families faced with mounting funeral and burial costs they simply cannot afford,” they said.

The legislators said that an existing FEMA program – the Individuals and Households Program – is already available to help with relief but the federal agency needs to approve special funeral assistance.

The appeal comes a week after Council Member Francisco Moya called for the creation of an emergency relief fund last week to cover the cost of death arrangements for the families of COVID-19 victims of limited means.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.