You are reading

Secret Theatre in Long Island City Closes it Doors Permanently

Secret Theater (Facebook)

May 7, 2020 By Christian Murray

The operator of a well-known Long Island City theater company announced Tuesday that he is closing his doors for good.

Richard Mazda, who founded the Secret Theatre in Long Island City more than 10 years ago, took to social media Tuesday to notify residents and the arts community that he is closing the Long Island City institution permanently.

“This is a very difficult video to make but today I am announcing that the Secret Theatre is closing permanently,” Mazda said. The video ends with him panning around the 44-02 23rd St. theater and then heading out the exit.

Mazda, a Sunnyside resident, attributed the closing to the economic damage caused by COVID-19. His theater—like all non-essential businesses—was ordered shut in March.

He said that he was not prepared to go into debt not knowing when he would be permitted to reopen and when tourists would return.

“We have loved providing Shakespeare, musicals, weird avant-garde off left field plays, children’s shows, dance festivals, musical festivals, concerts, operate and hosted film festivals,” he said.

Mazda said that he expects other companies like his to close.

“The plain truth is that the theater business is in such trouble now,” he said. “I expect that we will be one of many small theaters to close—certainly one of many micro businesses.”

The Secret Theater will not be completely gone. Mazda has set up a Secret Theater online academy geared toward children for voice, acting and singing coaching.

“Thanks a lot everyone. We have really loved being here.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue