You are reading

Schumer Urges JetBlue CEO to Keep Corporate Headquarters in LIC

JetBlue headquarters, at 27-01 Queens Plaza North in Long Island City (Google Maps)

March 19, 2021 By Allie Griffin

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer urged the CEO of JetBlue to keep more than a thousand Long Island City-based corporate jobs in New York City after it was reported Tuesday that the airline was considering a move to Florida.

Schumer put in a phone call to CEO Robin Hayes after reading a report that the airline was weighing the option of moving corporate positions out of state ahead of its lease expiration at 27-01 Queens Plaza North in Long Island City.

JetBlue, which brands itself as “New York’s Hometown Airline,” has been headquartered in Queens since its founding in 1999, but that could soon change, according to an internal memo cited by the New York Post.

The company wrote in a March 11 memo to staffers that it is eyeing alternative options ahead of July 2023 when its lease in Long Island City is up.

Those options including sending corporate staff to the sunshine state, where the airline has a training center in Orlando and another headquarters in Fort Lauderdale–or moving into a different borough, according to the article.

Still, JetBlue didn’t rule out staying in Long Island City, where more than 1,300 employees are based.

Schumer, who has had dealings with the airline since its inception, implored Hayes to keep the 1,300 headquarter jobs right where they are.

“The purpose of my call to Mr. Hayes was simply to remind him that JetBlue’s roots and its future are here in New York,” Schumer said. “With the critical pandemic relief dollars we just delivered on to help save airlines like JetBlue, and the thousands and thousands of New Yorkers they already employ, the airline should actually clear the runway to grow here, not recede.”

Schumer noted the $14 billion in direct aid to the airline industry he helped pass in the newest stimulus package on his call with Hayes.

JetBlue had considered moving to the sunshine state once before — about 10 years ago, but instead landed on Long Island City. It had originally been headquartered in Kew Gardens.

“The company has gone through this before and they choose Long Island City so I am hoping they do so again,” local Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer said earlier this week. “They bring a lot of vitality to the area and I know they are proud of their Queens connection.”

Schumer said he was confident the airline will stay true to its NYC roots.

“JetBlue has always said it best: since their start up in 1998, to their first flight from JFK in 2000, their home, heart and soul have always remained in New York,” he said. “Bottom line, I am confident JetBlue will remain New York’s hometown airline for a long time to come.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.