You are reading

Sex Offender Charged With Choking and Robbing Two Women in Their 70s in Queens

Richard Smalls (National Sex Offender Public Website)

Aug. 19, 2020 By Michael Dorgan 

A serial sex offender who served time for rape has been charged with choking and robbing two elderly women in their Queens apartment lobbies.

Richard Smalls attacked the women – both in their 70s – in two separate incidents that occurred within the last month, according to police.

Smalls, 58, has been charged with two counts of robbery, strangulation, and burglary, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

The ex-convict allegedly attacked a 72-year-old woman on July 28 when he followed her into her apartment building in the vicinity of 64th Avenue and 98th Street, according to police. He grabbed and choked the pensioner while she was collecting her mail in the lobby before stealing her jewelry and cash that was worth around $500 in total.

Smalls allegedly struck again on Aug. 9 in the vicinity of Queens Boulevard and 67th Drive when he followed a 78-year old woman into her building lobby and – using the same tactic – choked and threatened the woman before making off with a number of packages that were in the lobby, police said.

The assailant, who lives in a homeless shelter in Brooklyn, is a registered sex offender and was convicted of raping a 39-year-old woman in 1981, according to the national sex offender website.

Smalls was behind bars again in 2003 after he attacked a 29-year-old woman in Rego Park and forced her to perform a sex act on him, police said.

email the author: [email protected]

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
JMURPHY

I’m sure he didn’t mean it……poor soul is the victim of an unjust system. He might have been hungry and that was his way of asking for assistance. Erase the registry give them all a new chance!

Reply
Sara Ross

So he’s registered? That’s not going to stop him from committing crimes and didn’t stop him!! Lock him up forever. No bail, no parole, no chance of ever getting out!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.