You are reading

Skillman Holiday Lights Taken Down, Businesses Decide to Fund Food Pantries Instead

Skillman Avenue Lights before they were taken down (Photo: Sunnyside Chamber)

Dec. 11, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Now you see them, now you don’t!

Many Sunnyside residents were left scratching their heads after the annual holiday festive lights went up on Skillman Avenue – and seeing them being taken down again a few days later.

The holiday lights, which have been a seasonal feature of the neighborhood for more than a decade, have recently been funded by a collection of local businesses and groups led by the Sunnyside Chamber of Commerce.

This year the hard-hit businesses didn’t have the funds available to pay for them and the contractor in charge installed them due to a miscommunication.

“We have used the company for years and they were just working on the assumption that we wanted the lights again this year,” said Manny Gomez, Chair of the SCC. However, he added, the chamber never ordered them.

Gomez said he was notified by residents that they had gone up and immediately called the company to clear up the misunderstanding.

The vendor had other jobs lined up and therefore had to leave the lights up for about a week before eventually taking them down again, Gomez said.

The lights typically cost around $25,000 and last year they ran along Skillman and 43rd Avenues. They are funded in part by small businesses.

The chamber, however, decided last month that now was not the right time to ask hard-hit small businesses to help pay for them.

The chamber, Gomez said, had thought about holding a fundraiser for the lights early last month but thought otherwise. Instead, the organization decided that it would raise funds for local pantries– which it believes is a better use of funds given the pandemic.

The fundraiser is being launched today and will run until January.

Money that would have gone for paying for the lights will now be put into the fund and distributed among four local food pantries.

“Even though people love the Christmas lights, the money will be better spent making sure residents have something to eat,” Gomez said. “After all, that is really the spirit of Christmas, giving something to help others out.”

Gomez said that there is a huge demand for food this year due to the pandemic and people being out of work.

Gomez said the chamber is looking to raise $10,000, which would be split among the pantries. The pantries include the Mosaic Church in Sunnyside, St. Teresa’s Church in Woodside, St. Raphael’s Church in Long Island City and Sunnyside Community Services, which operates a pantry at its senior center and at the Woodside Houses.

Patricia Dorfman, who is an organizer of the food fund, is appealing to local businesses, groups and residents to chip in whatever they can afford.

Dorfman said that the owners of Fresh n’ Save on Skillman Avenue have already committed to giving $3,000 to the fund.

“We understand it’s been a difficult year for everyone so we are just asking for people to give whatever they can,” Dorfman said.

  • Donations can be sent by check to:
  • Sunnyside Chamber,
  • P.O. Box 4129,
  • Sunnyside, NY 11104

The check should be made out to the “Sunnyside Chamber of Commerce” with a notation for Food Fund.

Residents will also be able to donate online starting next week via the Chamber’s website.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Dan the Man

What about Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, doesn’t he have discrepancy funds available to pay for the lights or he could use the left over money he raised for the queens borough president race that he quit. I am sure that could fund the lights and I am sure he could take a selfie and post it for all to see. I believe that is the solution. I could also see maybe some tv producer covering this story and turn it into a Hallmark Christmas movie.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.