You are reading

State Suspends Liquor Licenses of a Dozen Queens Bars/Restaurants for Violating COVID-19 Guidelines

(Photo courtesy of Flickr/Governor Cuomo’s office)

July 28, 2020 By Allie Griffin

State officials suspended the liquor licenses of a dozen New York City establishments — all in Queens — over the weekend, as they continue to crackdown on COVID-19 violations.

The State Liquor Authority (SLA) ordered the suspensions of 12 eateries across Astoria, Jackson Heights, Corona and Ozone Park during board meetings held Saturday through Monday, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

The new suspensions come after six other establishments throughout Queens saw their liquor licenses yanked for similar violations last week.

SLA Investigators witnessed large groups of people congregating and drinking outside many of the establishments without wearing face coverings and ignoring social distancing mandates.

Some of the bars created a “nightclub-like atmosphere” and served patrons past the city’s 11 p.m. curfew for outdoor dining, according to the violations.

A few of the violators even served customers inside their dining areas — though indoor dining has been indefinitely shuttered in the city. Investigators also caught servers and staff at several establishments tending to patrons without wearing a face covering.

Most, if not all, of the 12 bars are repeat offenders.

Cuomo recently enacted a “three-strikes” rule in which the SLA will suspend the liquor license of any bar or restaurant that violates social distancing rules and mask requirements three times.

“With these additional suspensions we are sending a clear message that the State will not hesitate to take action against businesses that put New Yorkers’ health and safety at risk,” Gov. Cuomo said in a statement today.

Several bars in Queens have already had their liquor licenses suspended for failing to meet coronavirus prevention requirements. Steinway Street in Astoria drew attention last week as huge crowds of unmasked partiers danced and drank in the street, despite the threat of COVID-19.

“New Yorkers have worked hard to flatten the curve, but the bars and restaurants that ignore public health guidance are disrespecting their sacrifices which have saved lives while allowing us to sustain the reopening of our economy,” Cuomo said.

The newly-announced establishments who lost their liquor licenses are listed below, along with the date when the licenses was suspended

The Grand at 37-01 30th Ave. in Astoria, on July 27

The Pomeroy at 36-12 Ditmars Blvd. in Astoria, on July 27

Lima at 85-07 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 25

RubiRosa at 8407 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

Mr Pancho’s Café at 86-09 Roosevelt Ave. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

De La Mora Restaurant at 84-19 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

El Patio Bar at 80-24 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 26

El Paisa Café at 87-05 Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, on July 27

Romanticos at 76-07 Roosevelt Ave. in Jackson Heights, on July 27

Blue Angel Lounge at 112-51 Roosevelt Ave. in Corona, on July 26

Delicia’s Mexicanas at 102-14 Roosevelt Ave. in Corona, on July 27

CJ’s Bar and Lounge at 139-09 Crossbay Blvd. in Ozone Park, on July 25

Establishments that receive suspensions must stop serving alcohol immediately. The suspensions remain in effect indefinitely. The maximum penalty includes a permanent revocation of the license and fines up to $10,000 per violation.

“The SLA will continue to immediately suspend licensees who jeopardize lives by flagrantly violating the Governor’s Executive Orders,” State Liquor Authority Chair Vincent Bradley said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Port Authority announces JFK Airport traffic congestion plan as new terminal construction ramps up this summer

With construction ramping up over the summer on the $19 billion JFK Airport redevelopment project, the Port Authority opened a free drop-off, pickup and waiting lot at the AirTrain station at Lefferts Boulevard to help passengers avoid heavy traffic congestion at the terminal frontages.

The new lot will allow travelers to easily hop on to the free on-airport AirTrain with frequent service for an easy, eight-minute ride to the terminals, saving them time and anxiety from potential construction-related congestion.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.