You are reading

Two Men Charged in Fatal Shooting of Jackson Heights Man

iStock

Sep. 14, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Two men have been indicted and charged for killing a 20-year-old Jackson Heights man in Corona in June.

Joshua Petillo, 23, and Kevin Guerra, 21, allegedly chased Dante Santillan down a street on June 30 before Petillo fatally shot him in the back, according to the Queens District Attorneys Office.

Petillo, from Ozone Park, and Guerra, from East Elmhurst, have been charged with murder in the second degree and other weapon crimes.

They face up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted of the charges.

District Attorney Melinda Katz said that both men will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

“The victim in this case was running for his life when he was shot down and killed on a residential street in a senseless act of gun violence,” District Attorney Melinda Katz said in a statement Monday.

“Shootings are literally leaving our streets stained with blood,” Katz said.

According to the charges, Petillo and Guerra chased Santillan down Warren Street at around 11:30 p.m.

Petillo allegedly fired off a single shot that struck Santillan in the back.

Wounded and bleeding, Santillan scrambled away from the defendants and made it to a restaurant on 40th Road. Police said Santillan collapsed outside the restaurant.

A friend of Santillan drove him to Elmhurst Hospital but he later succumbed to his gunshot wounds and died.

Petillo and Guerra were also charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.

The pair were both remanded in custody and Queens Supreme Court Justice Barry Kron set the defendants’ return court date for Nov. 5, 2020.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue