You are reading

US Tennis Open To Go Ahead Without Spectators: Cuomo

Arthur Ashe Stadium (slgckgc via Flickr CC)

June 16, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The US Tennis Open will go ahead in Queens this summer without spectators, Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced.

The competition will be held on its originally scheduled dates of Aug. 31 through to Sept. 13.

“It will be held without fans but we can watch it on TV and I’ll take that,” Cuomo said at his daily press briefing.

The annual tournament had been under threat due to COVID-19 restrictions but Cuomo has given organizers the green light so long as they take extraordinary precautions to protect players and staff.

Cuomo said that the United States Tennis Association has agreed to carry out a number of measures including robust testing. Staff will perform additional cleaning and extra locker room space will be made available. There will also be dedicated housing and transportation for players and officials.

“We must remain vigilant and the USTA is taking all necessary precautions with players and staff, but this is an exciting day for the state,” Cuomo said.

The event will take place at that the Billie Jean King Tennis Center complex in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, the USTA confirmed.

The organization said it would take all steps necessary to protect both the public and players.

“We recognize the tremendous responsibility of hosting one of the first global sporting events in these challenging times, and we will do so in the safest manner possible, mitigating all potential risks,” USTA Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director Mike Dowse said.

Dowse said that the event will be a massive boost for New York City and for the sport of tennis.

“We now can give fans around the world the chance to watch tennis’ top athletes compete for a US Open title, and we can showcase tennis as the ideal social distancing sport.”

However, some top players have hinted they may not take part due to ongoing concerns surrounding the coronavirus.

The men’s and women’s number 1 ranked players Novak Djokovic and Ashleigh Barty, have expressed reservations about participating, according to reports by ESPN. Defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal has also voiced concerns about playing, the report states.

Meanwhile, Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios called the USTA “selfish” for going ahead with the event, according to his Twitter feed.

The US Open is one of four major or “grand slam” tournaments held every year on the world tennis circuit.

The Australian Open was held earlier this year while Wimbledon in the UK has been canceled due to COVID-19. The French Open has been postponed until September.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens parents of teen driver sentenced on child endangerment charges after son allegedly killed a girl during a horrific collision: DA

A Springfield Gardens couple was sentenced in Queens Supreme Court on Monday in a groundbreaking case of endangering the welfare of a child charges for allowing their 16-year-old son to drive a sports car they gave him before he was old enough to drive.

The teenager was charged with manslaughter in the death of 14-year-old Fortune Williams, who was riding in the car when the youngster was in a gruesome collision with a delivery truck while speeding more than 100 miles per hour in January 2023.

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.