You are reading

Bronx boy killed while subway surfing at Queensboro Plaza in Long Island City: NYPD

A Bronx boy was killed while subway surfing on top of a 7 train entering the Queensboro Plaza station in Long Island City on July 4. QNS/file

July 8, 2025 By Bill Parry

The MTA is once again warning the public of the perils of subway surfing, days after a Bronx boy was killed after falling from the top of a 7 train in Long Island City.

During the early morning hours of Friday, July 4, police from the 108th Precinct and Transit District 20 responded to a 911 call of a young male in need of medical attention just after 2:45 a.m. at the Queensboro Plaza subway station.

Upon arrival, they found the youngster lying on the track bed unconscious and unresponsive, police said. EMS rushed the boy to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan, where he was pronounced dead. He was later identified as Carlos Oliver, 15, of Sheridan Avenue, in the Bathgate section of the Bronx.

Investigators determined that Oliver was riding on top of the 7 train as it entered the station when he fell off onto the tracks below.

“This was as avoidable as it is tragic,” NYC Transit President Demetrius Crichlow said Tuesday. “I implore family, friends, teachers, and anyone else who knows children that are even thinking about riding outside subway cars, to persuade them it’s not some video game, it’s suicidal.”

Laurelton native and BMX athlete Nigel Sylvester was at the Queens Plaza station in Long Island City last month to announce new initiatives in the “Ride Inside, Stay Alive” anti-subway surfing campaign.
Photo by Marc A. Hermann / MTA

The MTA updated its “Ride Inside, Stay Alive” campaign audio announcements last month, featuring professional BMX athlete Nigel Sylvester, of Laurelton, talking with children about the dangers of subway surfing. Those messages are played every 10 to 15 minutes inside subway stations and subway cars along the 7 line.

Syvlester joined Crichlow and high school students to roll out the latest initiative at the Queens Plaza subway station in Long Island City on July 11.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.