You are reading

DA Katz continues crackdown on illegal motorbikes, takes another 133 scooters, mopeds off the streets of Woodside, Long Island City

An ongoing joint operation by the Queens District Attorney’s office and the NYPD seeded 133 illegal motorbikes off the streets in Woodside and Long Island City this week. Photo courtesy of the DA’s office

Feb. 12, 2024 By Bill Parry

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz provided an update Friday on her ongoing crackdown with the NYPD on illegal scooters and mopeds in western Queens.

Detectives from the DA’s office working with officers from the NYPD’s 108th Precinct in Long Island City and the 114th Precinct in Astoria searched 18 locations in Woodside and Long Island City on Tuesday and Thursday night last week, seizing a total of 133 scooters and mopeds as part of an ongoing joint operation.

A previous operation seized 44 vehicles in the 114th Precinct and the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights.

Photo courtesy of the DA’s office

“Unregistered scooters are being used to commit violent crimes, including shootings and robberies,” Katz said. “Through our proactive enforcement efforts in collaboration with the NYPD, we have taken close to 200 of these illegal vehicles off our streets in just one week.”

Of the 133 vehicles taken off the road last week, 103 were unregistered. The scooters and mopeds were confiscated for being illegally parked. The DA’s office and the NYPD initiated crackdowns to address the vehicle’s persistent involvement in crimes such as drive-by shootings and robberies.

“The men and women of the NYPD, in close collaboration with our law enforcement partners, continue to make headway in reducing the illegal use of motorized scooters in New York City,” NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban said. “With nearly 200 scooters seized in Queens so far this month, the positive effect on quality of life is tangible. Together, we are providing the public safety that New Yorkers expect and deserve.”

Additional operations are planned in Queens as part of an enforcement effort to get illegal unregistered motorized scooters and mopeds off the road.

“We will continue working with the NYPD to eliminate the threat illegal motorbikes represent to our communities,” Katz said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.