You are reading

DOT Reduces Hours of Operation at Main Street Flushing Busway

flushing busway

The Dept. of Transportation has reduced the operational hours of the controversial Main Street busway in Flushing. A new sign showing the updated hours of operation, pictured (Photo provided by Council Member Sandra Ung’s office)

July 25, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

The Dept. of Transportation has reduced the operational hours of the controversial Main Street busway in Flushing.

The busway, which runs down a .6-mile stretch of Main Street between Northern Boulevard and Sanford Avenue, is now in operation from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays through Sundays having previously been in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The new rules went into force earlier this month.

The DOT said it made the changes having listened to the concerns of local business leaders, many of whom opposed the conversion of the street into a busway in the first place.

The 24/7 busway went into effect in January 2021 as part of a pilot program to speed up bus services along the busy commercial route. A group of local businesses mounted an unsuccessful legal challenge to stop the busway from being installed, arguing that it would deter customers from coming to the busy shopping zone. The DOT then went ahead with its plans.

The DOT made the 24/7 busway permanent in June following the completion of the pilot program but has now decided to scale back its operational hours.

“The Main Street busway has made commutes faster and more reliable for 155,000 daily bus riders and DOT is committed to its continued success,” said Vin Barone, spokesperson for the DOT.

“DOT determined the hours could be adjusted to better balance with the requests made by the local business community.”

The new changes also come after DOT Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez toured downtown Flushing in April with Council Member Sandra Ung to discuss local transit issues.

Ung said she urged Rodriguez to reduce the busway’s hours of operation during their discussions, in an effort to allow more car-driving residents to patronize local stores and restaurants.

“I want to thank the Department of Transportation for listening to our community, who repeatedly raised concerns about the impact the busway would have if implemented, and agreeing to a compromise,” Ung said.

“This [gives] businesses some respite after 7 p.m. to welcome customers and arrange for deliveries.”

The DOT has put up new signage along the busway to reflect the new change in operational hours.

The agency, Ung said, also erected new signs at the intersection of Main Street and 37th Avenue alerting drivers they are about to enter the busway.

Ung said she prompted the DOT to put up the new, more visible signs, after drivers complained they inadvertently entered the busway and were fined. The motorists claimed they didn’t see the two previous signs ahead of the intersection before driving into the busway. Ung said that those signs were easy to miss and unclear.

Only buses, trucks and emergency vehicles are permitted on the busway as through traffic. The DOT prohibits all other motorists from using it, unless it is for local street access, pick-up and drop-offs, or garage access—and the operator of the vehicle makes the next available right turn off it.

Ung said she also asked the DOT to add additional red paint and markings along the busway corridor to make it more visible.

The DOT also erected new signs at the intersection of Main Street and 37th Avenue, pictured, alerting drivers they are about to enter the busway. (Photo provided by Council Member Sandra Ung’s office)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

South Richmond Hill man busted for allegedly groping woman on board bus near Forest Park: NYPD

A South Richmond Hill man was arrested on Monday and booked at the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill for groping a woman on a bus near the eastern edge of Forest Park earlier this month.

Edwin Guzman, 38, of 112th Street, is accused of approaching a 26-year-old victim who was on board an MTA Q37 bus near the intersection of Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue on the morning of Wednesday, May 1.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue