You are reading

Jackson Heights Families Displaced by Eight-Alarm Fire to Get Emergency Shelter Through June 20: Mayor

Fire damage to the hallways at 89-07 34th Ave. in Jackson Heights (FDNY)

April 19, 2021 By Christina Santucci

More than 100 families displaced by an eight-alarm fire in Jackson Heights earlier this month will be able to stay in emergency lodging until June 20, the mayor announced Friday.

“The city will provide Queens families displaced from this month’s fire with an extra two months of temporary housing to get back on their feet,” Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted.

Temporary lodging in hotels was initially provided by the Red Cross for 102 families, and last week, the city extended the emergency shelter through April 20.

The second extension was announced after Andrew Sokolof-Diaz, president of the 89th Street Tenants Unidos Association, called into Brian Lehrer’s Ask the Mayor segment Friday. The group represents the residents of the burned buildings – at 89-07 and 89-11 34th Ave. Sokolof-Diaz asked the mayor to help the tenants.

“We will extend the hotels for now, and then we are going to try and figure out what is a good, larger solution to help you and all of the families that have gone through this,” de Blasio told Sokolof-Diaz.

More than 400 residents – from 133 apartments – were displaced from the buildings, and no official timeline has been announced for when they may be able to return. A full vacate order is in effect for both buildings as of Sunday, according to Department of Buildings records.

The fire-damaged apartment building in Jackson Heights (Photo: Christina Santucci)

Councilmember Daniel Dromm, who represents Jackson Heights, thanked the mayor for the extension Friday.

“Glad you agree there is no reason to further displace these residents. Now, we need to get them food on a regular basis,” he wrote on Twitter.

A spokesperson for the Red Cross said the organization had registered 134 families – with a total of 472 people – after the blaze. Some residents displaced by the fire were staying with relatives and friends.

“This was a horrible, devastating fire with hundreds of people affected, ” the mayor said.

About 400 firefighters and medics responded to six-story buildings just after 1 p.m. April 6 after the fire was reported on the top floor.

New York City fire marshals said an overloaded power strip caused the massive blaze, which injured 21 people, including 16 firefighters.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said the door to the apartment where the blaze began was left open – and there was a 10-minute delay before 911 was called – allowing the fire to spread.

“NEVER overload extension cords with multiple items, appliances or power strips,” fire officials posted on Twitter. “Remember – extension cords are for temporary use only.”

Tenant organizers have been collecting donations for displaced residents through a GoFundMe drive, which had raised more than $345,000 as of Sunday towards its $500,000 goal.

Community groups, such as the Love Wins Food Pantry, fellow Queens residents and businesses, like the Tortas Neza food truck, have also pitched in to help those affected by the fire.

Fire damage to the an apartment at 89-07 34th Ave. in Jackson Heights where the blaze began (FDNY)

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

‘Limitless possibility’: BP Richards announces community visioning workshops on redevelopment of Creedmoor Psychiatric Center campus in Queens Village

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. and Empire State Development on Tuesday, Jan. 31, announced the launch of a series of community visioning workshops that will be held to hear input from eastern Queens residents about the redevelopment of the 50-acre Creedmoor Psychiatric Center campus in Queens Village. 

The first community visioning workshop will be held on Thursday, Feb. 2, at 7 p.m. at P.S./I.S. 208 located at 74-30 Commonwealth Blvd. in Glen Oaks.

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Op-Ed: This Year’s State Budget Must Prioritize Climate, Jobs, and Justice for New York

Op-Ed, Jan. 30, By Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas

In a time of rampant economic inequality and environmental injustice, it is easy to feel defeated.  Here in Queens and across New York State, however, communities are organizing for a better future. New Yorkers from different backgrounds and with different lived experiences are proving that we can build community, organize, and create a future that reflects our shared values.