You are reading

Lancman to Step Down From City Council to Join Cuomo Administration

Queens City Council Member Rory Lancman (NYC Council)

Oct. 30, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Queens Council Member Rory Lancman is leaving office to take up a new role with the Cuomo administration.

Lancman has been appointed as Special Counsel for Ratepayer Protection, a newly-created position where he will represent the interests of residential and commercial customers of regulated electric, gas, water and telecom companies.

Governor Andrew Cuomo made the announcement today. The governor said that he created the position following repeated failures by utility and telecom companies.

“Utility companies do not have a God-given right to operate in New York, and when they abuse and bully consumers they must be held accountable,” Cuomo said.

Lancman, who is term-limited, will effectively step down on Nov. 4, the date when he takes up his new appointment.

His departure will trigger a special election for his District 24 seat, which covers Kew Gardens Hills, Fresh Meadows, Hillcrest, Pomonok, Jamaica Estates and Briarwood.

The council member looked to exit his council seat last year. He ran for Queens District Attorney in 2019 but pulled out just days before the election to support Melinda Katz who was elected to the position.

He tweeted Friday that it was an honor to represent the district and thanked his constituents for their support. Lancman, who currently chairs the New York City Council Committee on the Justice System, added that he had helped build a “fairer, more accountable justice system” and is looking forward to serving his constituents in a new way.

Lancman in his new role will review the performance of all utilities across the state. He will determine, among other things, whether they are making the investments required; whether they are meeting performance standards; and whether they are complying with renewable energy goals and standards.

“Every New Yorker should be able to turn on the lights, heat their homes and open their faucets to clean water because their electricity, gas and water providers are meeting their obligations to provide safe, reliable, and affordable service as the law requires,” Lancman said in a statement he shared on Twitter.

“I’m honored by the governor’s appointment and grateful for his commitment to holding New York’s utilities and telecoms accountable to their most important constituency — the rate-paying public,” Lancman said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.