You are reading

Two men arrested on hate crime charges after spraying racial slur across front of Astoria restaurant: NYPD

The police have released photos of two men wanted for spraying a racist slur across the front of an Astoria restaurant last week (Photos: NYPD and Google Maps)

The police have released two men, pictured, wanted for spraying a racist slur across the front of an Astoria restaurant last month (Photos: The suspects (l.) via NYPD and Sunrise Chinese Restaurant, pictured in Sep. 2022, via Google Maps)

March 6, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

Police have arrested two men on hate crime charges for allegedly spraying a racist slur across a restaurant in Astoria last month.

Christopher Ordonez, 18, and Zlatko Basic, 20, were arrested Sunday, March 5, and each charged with one count of criminal mischief as a hate crime, making graffiti, and possession of a graffiti instrument, after they allegedly scrawled the N-word on a Chinese restaurant, according to police.

The pair allegedly sprayed the racist epithet across a roller gate at Sunrise Chinese Restaurant, located at 33-20 Broadway, at around 3:30 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 17, police said.

Ordonez, of Steinway Street in Long Island City, and Basic, of 37th Street in Astoria, used green-colored spray paint to plaster the word across the front of the restaurant. The hateful graffiti was around 16 feet wide and 14 feet high, cops said.

The alleged vandals then fled the scene on foot in an unknown direction.

Police had called on the public’s help in tracking the pair and had released photos of the duo.

The NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force has been investigating the incident with cops nabbing and arresting the duo Sunday morning.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.