You are reading

COVID-19 Hospital Admissions Drop, According to Latest NYC Data

April 13, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Mayor Bill de Blasio said new data shows New York City is on its way to reducing the spread of the coronavirus.

The number of daily hospital admissions for suspected COVID-19 cases decreased from Friday, April 10 to Saturday, April 11. The number dipped from 463 to 383 people admitted, de Blasio said today.

The number of people with the disease in the ICU at the city’s public hospitals also decreased slightly from Friday to Saturday, as did the percentage of people who tested positive for the virus.

(Mayor’s Office)

Last week de Blasio said the city would look at these numbers to evaluate if it was flattening the curve of the virus and moving toward low level transmission.

Beginning today, the City is launching a portal to share the realtime data with the public.

“Day one of this new effort, I’m pleased to report we do see all the indicators moving in the right direction, moving downward together,” de Blasio said at a City Hall briefing. “This is a very good day, this is day one.”

The decreasing numbers are a direct reflection of New Yorkers’ efforts to stay home and social distance, he said.

“Now we gotta keep working all together to keep these numbers moving in the right direction and I want everyone to take it personally,” de Blasio said. “I want you to feel like when you see these numbers — numbers are abstractions, but they represent human beings and they represent the future of this city and what our lives are going to be like.”

He said a lot more work has to be done to keep up the progress.

“We’ve got a lot more to do to keep that progress going, to get to the point where we might be able to ease some of the restrictions and move towards normalcy and have a low transmission dynamic with COVID-19.”

As of 5 p.m. yesterday, 104,410 New Yorkers have contracted COVID-19 across the five boroughs — 6,182 of them have died from the virus.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Long Islander gets 3-9 years for stealing homes across Queens belonging to elderly or disabled owners: AG

New York Attorney General Letitia James and Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that a Long Island man was sentenced to three to nine years in prison Friday for leading a deed theft ring that resulted in five homes being stolen from vulnerable Queens residents and saw them earn more $1 million in ill-gotten gains.

Marcus Wilcher, 48, of Carll Drive in Bay Shore, pleaded guilty in May to grand larceny in the second degree in Queens Supreme Court for his role in leading the crew following an investigation by the Attorney General’s office.