You are reading

Homeless man cuffed in attempted rape of woman in Long Island City

A turnstile-jumping homeless man, pictured, has been nabbed for attempting to rape a woman in Long Island City last week (Photo: Google Maps)

Feb. 16, 2023 By Michael Dorgan

A turnstile-jumping homeless who had been wanted by police for allegedly attempting to rape a woman in Long Island City has been arrested, according to authorities.

Damel Dennis, 43, was cuffed and charged with attempted sex abuse, public lewdness and burglary after he allegedly tried to sexually assault the 34-year-old victim inside a building in the Dutch Kills section of Long Island City on Feb. 8.

The woman was exiting a bathroom from inside the lobby of the building, located in the vicinity of Crescent Street and 41st Avenue, when she came across Dennis who was outside the bathroom door exposing his privates, according to police.

The victim attempted to shut the door on Dennis, but he allegedly pushed his way into the bathroom and grabbed the woman by the face. He then attempted to pull her pants down, police said.

The woman screamed for help and a good Samaritan heard her calls and then intervened, cops said.

Dennis, who is undomiciled, then fled the scene on foot southbound on Crescent Street toward the Queensboro Plaza subway station, police said.

Police on Feb. 10 released a video of Dennis — wearing a red durag and a gray long-sleeved shirt under a black T-shirt — jumping a turnstile at the subway station.

He was arrested within the confines of the 112th Precinct on Wednesday, Feb. 15.

The woman was not injured during the incident, the NYPD said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.