You are reading

St. Pats for All Parade to Return as in-Person Event on March 6

The 2020 St Pats For All Parade (Photo: Michael Dorgan, Sunnyside Post)

Feb 27, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

The St. Pats For All Parade is coming back as an in-person event this year.

Dozens of groups have registered to march for what is Sunnyside and Woodside’s largest annual event. The parade was replaced with a virtual celebration last year due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Several Irish cultural groups, LGBT organizations, music groups and a multitude of marching bands are expected to take to Skillman Avenue and be cheered on by adults and children decked out in emerald green.

The parade will follow its traditional route beginning at Skillman Avenue and 43rd Street before finishing at 58th Street and Woodside Avenue.

Music and speeches will begin at noon with the parade kicking off at 1 p.m.

The parade was initially organized as an LGBT-inspired event after a group of Irish men and women were not permitted to march in the 1999 St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Fifth Ave under a gay banner.

The Sunnyside event has since evolved to be considered more of a community-driven celebration with a large cross-section of the neighborhood participating. A number of high-profile politicians spoke at the event in 2020 including former Mayor Bill de Blasio, former Council Speaker Corey Johnson, Senator Charles Schumer as well as Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Carolyn Maloney.

Irish dancers at the St. Pats for All Parade in 2020 (Photo: St. Pats for All)

Brendan Fay, a community activist who founded the parade, has stepped down from his role as co-chair of the event.

Fay, an Irish immigrant, founded the event in the year 2000 after being arrested several times while trying to march with a gay rights group at the Fifth Avenue parade in the 1990s. He then worked with activists to establish the Sunnyside/Woodside event.

Kathleen Walsh D’Arcy is the new chair of the parade having served as co-chair alongside Fay for the last 15 years.

Walsh D’Arcy said she can’t wait to see marchers returning to the streets of Sunnyside and Woodside.

“It’s very exciting and everyone is looking forward to greeting our friends and neighbors again.”

Walsh D’Arcy, however, said it will be a challenge to replicate the large attendance numbers seen in previous years, given the impact the pandemic has had on some residents.

“We are still hoping to have a big parade,” she said.

St Pats For All Parade 2020, County Cork Pipes and Drums. Image: Michael Dorgan, Sunnyside Post

St. Pats For All Parade 2020, County Cork Pipes and Drums. Image: Michael Dorgan, Sunnyside Post

The parade will be led by the FDNY bagpipe band and will feature several other marching bands including the County Cork Pipes and Drums as well as regulars such as the Niall O’Leary School of Irish Dance, Girl Scouts of Sunnyside Woodside and the Shannon Gaels Gaelic Football Club.

Walsh D’Arcy said that the Lavender and Green Alliance, an Irish LGBT group founded by Fay in the 1990s, will also take part. In 2016, it became the first group to march under a gay banner at the St. Patrick’s Day parade on Fifth Avenue.

Like previous years, a number of anti-war groups are also anticipated to march. Walsh D’Arcy expects a large number of participants to line up behind those groups this year given the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

St. Pats For All Parade 2020, Lavender and Green Alliance. Image: Michael Dorgan, Sunnyside Post

Meanwhile, Ocasio-Cortez and State Senator Jessica Ramos have confirmed they will be at the event, Walsh D’Arcy said. She added that Mayor Eric Adams and Governor Kathy Hochul – whose grandparents immigrated from Ireland – are likely to attend.

The parade is being dedicated to Tarlach MacNiallais, a Sunnyside resident who died from COVID-19 in 2020. MacNiallais, an Irish immigrant, had been an LGBTQ-rights and disability-rights activist.

He was also a long-time St Pats For All board member. The intersection at 43rd Avenue and 49th Street was co-named Tarlach MacNiallais Way in his honor in December.

Members of MacNiallais’ family will be the Grand Marshalls of the parade, Walsh D’Arcy said.

The weekend’s festivities will kick off on March 5 at the Irish Arts Center, with performances by local Irish musicians.

Groups interested in taking part in the St. Pats For All Parade can register by clicking here.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.